Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Seche Vite Warning?

The Seche Vite top coat; to be used  at your own risk? I was on the market for a new top coat and decided to finally give the famous Seche Vite Top Coat a go. It is loved by many and has even won an InStyle Beauty Award- sounds good huh?

So why do I not sound my usual excited self? Well, whilst I am no expert and not usually one to inspect every ingredient on a products ingredients list; the Seche Vite top coat is known to have an ingredient called Toulene. Toluene is a solvent found in common products such as paint, paint thinner, nail polish, nail glue, and adhesives and it's used in nail polish to help it apply smoothly to the nail. There are no danger warnings on the packaging (bought in the UK) BUT, simply type this into Google and you'll be shocked to see the countless number of warnings and information regarding how this product can cause birth defects and other health problems *Gulps*. I had vaguely heard of these warnings prior to purchasing but had never really paid much attention to them. My initial thoughts in fact were that, if it were so dangerous, then SURELY it wouldn't be so readily available to purchase? (I know thats not always the way these things work but come on! It is only a nail varnish after all.)

So after reading various pieces, I was definitely ready to just throw this product away, however, instead of doing so; my inner makeup hoarder made me dig further to find some more reliable and factual sources. In a nutshell; the information that I went on to find stated that studies had taken place and found that there's 'No Significant Risk Level' for Toluene when used in nail products- phew!  I'd expect that copious amounts of toluene can be harmful yes- but then again, isn't that the case with most substances. So it seems for now small amounts of Toulene in nail polish is safe after all.

I will give this product some credit however, and say that it's brilliant as far as top coats go. But will I be repurchasing this? I highly doubt it. 

Please let me know what you all think- leave a comment or tweet me! 

Many stores do stock this but I have noticed the price usually alters from around £8-11.

Here are some links if you want some more in-depth information regarding Toulene.
http://www.cosmeticsinfo.org/HBI/27/
http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/ProductandIngredientSafety/ProductInformation/ucm127068.htm


4 comments:

  1. I had no idea I just figure if something is safe to buy and went through canadian standards testing its safe..happy this one isnt too bad because its my fave:)

    Sara xx
    http://beautifulworldoflennynb.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never really looked at product ingredients when purchasing them, this is making me rethink that!

    Kate x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is by far my favourite top coat but its always interesting to learn of the ingredients of such products. I am the first to admit I can be a tad ignorant so to speak when it comes to researching the ingredients of products.

    Becky

    beckys makeup

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just happened to read this warning on my bottle this week. Whereas I have used and loved Seche topcoat for years, I decided to discontinue use. I did not know toluene was the culprit, but do know many nail polish companies have taken it out. Guess I really freaked as it said can cause birth defects. Called my friend, who is pregnant, just to let her know this. Now to find another one I can at least like! Silly to look for problems.

    ReplyDelete