Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Best and Worst Eye Primers?

It is often asked if eyeshadow primers are worth using and if so; do they they actually work? The problem here is that it can be difficult to give a completely fair review of a product of this kind because yes, it most probably will prolong your eyeshadow but with so many contributing factors determining
the staying power of your make up, no one could ever realistically guarantee the '10 hours staying power' that some of the eye primers on the market claim. 

Firstly I would not consider an eye primer a necessity, although yes; it is a nice addition to any make up collection; there are other alternatives. For example I find a concealer generally does the trick or a MAC paint pot in one of their neutral tones works brilliantly for this purpose too. I have a few of the 'must have' eye primers in my collection either in full size or in sample size (that is what of course fuelled this post) so I thought I would include some brief reviews to sum up the products, for you to compare and make up your own mind.


This Too Faced Shadow Insurance has to be my favourite, the tube packaging makes the product easy to dispense and it really is all you would want a base product to be. Giving you the perfect canvas for your eyeshadow, it is slightly illuminating creating the most gorgeous creamy effect and making any eyeshadow look dazzling . This collection has quite a few varieties of 'Shadow Insurances' so it is definitely worth a try and it is perfect for glowing Summer make up looks!


The famous Urban Decay Primer Potion is highly recommended by many and I don't know if I  can write a fair review as I only have the mini version from the Urban Decay Naked Palette. However my one qualm is the packaging, you can just see how this could be a disaster when trying to get those last bits of products out. In all honesty, I didn't really notice massive staying power with this but it did really compliment the shadows in the naked palette for a really crisp looking colour.


After trying a sample I then decided to purchase the full size of the NARS Smudge Proof Eyeshadow Base, I found it really quite easy to work with (a little bit sticky?) but I did notice this did prolong the longevity of eyeshadow but again it can be hard to judge as different occasions and environments can effect how well your make up lasts. So I would recommend this as this seems to do the job and if you don't want the illuminating effect of the Too Faced Shadow Insurance then this would be for you.


I love Benefit products, I really do so when I was given this Benefit 'Stay don't Stray' Primer for shadow and concealer I was so excited. However this product has been a nightmare and the only reason I haven't thrown it away is because I am a bit of a hoarder when it comes to make up. Firstly this comes in a pump form which I found dispenses far too much product and secondly the pump actually broke after only a few uses. I found this is also very thick so the thought of putting concealer and shadow on top just makes me think it is giving a slightly cakey look. This is a skin colour tone as opposed to the others which are more of a transparent formula and so overall I just found this doesn't really have a place in my make up routine.

I am sure many of you have tried some of these products and perhaps you have other opinions so do let me know :)




5 comments:

  1. I've tries Urban Decay and it's the best I've tried. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been debating getting an eye primer recently but I think I may just try concealer!
    Love Holz oxo
    http://beautifulsimplicity-holziepink.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I am so glad I stumbled on this post cause I was actually debating between the urban decay primer and the nars primer but now I will get the two-faced primer! Great reviews, I am so surprised NARS was sticky - usually their products are so good!
    xx



    The Urban Umbrella

    xoxo



    http://www.theurbanumbrella.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome post- I'm trying to find a good primer at the moment and got a sample of the urban decay- not bad so far
    Ola
    http://sugarnspice3.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post...I've been debating getting an eye primer recently but I think I may just try concealer!

    Swinger couple

    ReplyDelete